Businesses & other resources that are not located on Oahu, but still of interest, relevance, and help to many local homeschool families.
Everything here is listed for informational purposes only. Proceed only after you’ve done your own research and decide for yourself whether or not the business or organization is worthy of your patronage.
There are many, many places to buy new curriculum and probably hundreds of companies and curriculum products to choose from. Too many to list here. When not buying used, two helpful sources (for me) of a wide variety of things at good prices have been Amazon and Rainbow Resource! If you’re not sure which curriculum you want, try looking through some of the reviews in the links below.
- Cathy Duffy Reviews – From the author of the oft-recommended the new 102 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. Her site “also features abbreviated reviews of Cathy’s Top Picks as well as more than a thousand other reviews of other homeschool products”.
- HomeschoolReviews.com – A community forum where users can post and read reviews of a wide variety of curriculum.
- Secular Homeschool Curriculum Reviews – From SecularHomeschool.com (a secular, non-religious focus).
Curriculum: Sales & Discounts
- Educents – Usually does NOT offer shipping to Hawaii (sometimes they do, though)! But does have some online deals, freebies, and downloads.
- Homeschool Buyers Co-Op – Co-op membership is free and entitles homeschooling families to access great Group Buy discounts on a variety of curricula and homeschool related materials. On their site you’ll also find lots of free information, such as databases of free curriculum, field trips, and educational contests and scholarships. It is often highly recommended by many homeschoolers.
- HomeschoolClassifieds.com – A forum for the buying and selling of used homeschool curriculum, books, and materials.
Free Curriculum & Resources
Note: Some deals for free educational materials (usually downloads) can sometimes be found through the websites listed under the title “Curriculum Sales & Discounts”. The ones I’m listing in this category are those that are regularly offered free of charge.
- Ambleside Online – Free Charlotte Mason curriculum. Leans Christian/faith-based.
- Easy Peasy All-In-One Homeschool – Free complete curriculum for preschool to 8th grade. Christian (faith-based).
- FreeHomeschoolDeals.com – Lots and lots of free information and links to free resources for homeschooling.
- Homeschool Share – Free unit studies and lapbooking!
- Khan Academy – Free learning resource for math, science, art history, economics, and more!
- Lapbooking – free resources list, from FreeHomeschoolDeals.com.
- Letter of the Week – From Brightly Beaming Resources, free curriculum ideas for ages 0-8, primarily the early years. Faith-based.
- Starfall – Basic Starfall is free. More Starfall is offered for a fee. Kindergarten & 1st grade focused. Great resource for phonemic awareness, basic phonics and reading skills. Also has songs, some math skills, and more.
General Homeschooling Information & Resources
- The Homeschool Mom – Lots of general homeschooling information and links to more resources.
Homeschooling Legal Support
- Homeschool Legal Defense Agency (HSLDA)
- National Center for Life & Liberty (NCLL), Homeschool Center
- National Home Education Legal Defense (NHELD) – based in Connecticut, does NOT provide legal advice but rather support and referrals
Online Classes/Lessons (for a fee)
- GameEd Academy – a.k.a. Minecraft School (MCS). Offers 6-week academic courses, utilizing a combined online class & Minecraft game approach.
- Gifted Homeschoolers Forum – Offers a variety of interesting online classes (for a fee).
- Minecraft Homeschool (Skrafty) – A homeschool Minecraft game server that offers a variety of classes to be completed [at least partly] in-game.
- Outschool – Live online video classes for K through 12th grade.
- Time For Learning – Pre-K through 12th grade, fee-based lessons.